The ongoing story of Sudanese pastors who faced the death penalty for their faith  

5th June 2015

Sudanese pastorAfter several false starts, the trial of two South Sudanese pastors, Yat Michael, 49, and Peter Yen, 37, who stand accused of crimes against the state of Sudan and could face the death penalty, has been rescheduled again to 15 June. The court is then due to hear testimony from the complainant, Sudan’s National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS).The reason given for further delay was that the prosecutors in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, need more time to build their case. According to the defense team, the judge indicated that it will take at least 10 days to reach a decision. Both men belong to the South Sudan Presbyterian Evangelical Church.

At a previous hearing on 31 May an investigator representing the NISS, Mohammed Khair Ibrahim, told the court about material he said was found on the defendants’ computers, including a series of reports, maps and an advanced course on dealing with the psychological aspects of investigation belonging to the NISS.


On 13 December 2014, Michael arrived in Sudan with his wife and child, whom they had brought to Khartoum for medical treatment. While visiting the country he was asked to preach at the Evangelical Church of Khartoum in Bahri on 21 December, which had been partly destroyed by the Sudanese authorities earlier that month. After his sermon he was arrested by security officials.

It was reported that Michael had condemned the controversial sale of the church land and property, and the treatment of Christians in Sudan.

The church had been sold by the Community Council of the Church, a body appointed by the Government of Sudan’s Ministry of Endowments and Guidance, which reportedly did not have a mandate to sell it.

Sudanese police forces had earlier raided the church on 2 December 2014 to break up a sit-in demonstration organised by members of the congregation protesting the sale. Thirty eight people were arrested, and 20 convicted of disturbing the public peace, and membership of criminal or terrorist organisations (following the protest), reports the African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (ACJPS).

Yen, who had arrived in Sudan in September 2014, was arrested in January 2015 from his home, which is attached to Khartoum’s Al Gereif church, after delivering a letter to the Religious Affairs Office asking about Michael’s arrest. Yen had also spoken out about his opposition to the sale of land by the Community Council, and voiced concern on the situation facing Christians in Sudan. Both pastors were not allowed communication with other people until their first family visits on 2 March 2015. They were transferred to Kober prison on 1 March, and charged by the Office of the Prosecutor for a series of crimes against the state on 4 May.They were charged under Articles 21 (joint acts in execution of criminal conspiracy), 50 (undermining the constitutional system), 51 (waging war against the state), 53 (espionage against the country), 55 (disclosure and obtaining information and official documents), 64 (promoting hatred amongst or against sects), 69 (disturbance of the public peace), and 125 (insulting religious creeds) of the 1991 Sudanese Penal Code. Articles 50 and 51 carry the death penalty, while the other articles carry flogging sentences.

The ACPJS says it believes the criminal charges against Michael and Yen are based solely on their religious convictions and outspoken criticism of the ruling party. It says that "their continued detention and criminal proceedings are discriminatory and in violation of constitutional and international law", and that "there is speculation that the trial of the two men is intended to send a message to other Christian leaders in Sudan to refrain from criticising the treatment of Christian minorities in Sudan and the policies of the ruling party".

The pastors are being represented by a team of pro-bono lawyers.

According to a report in the Sudan Tribune, the investigator in the case, Mohamed Khair Ibrahim, tried to convince the court that Yen is managing an organisation working to distort the image of Sudan through reports sent to organisations that are hostile to the country, so that the information could be used in human rights reports.

He said lectures and training packages belonging to NISS were found on Michael’s personal computer. "It is the same curriculum that is taught in all stages at the NISS, including a package on psychological aspects to deal with investigators which is one of the advanced courses in the Bureau," Ibrahim said, adding that Michael offered no explanation as to why he possessed the training package. Ibrahim said investigations led them to believe that Michael was conducting intelligence work and this had "prompted him to keep the curriculum despite its secrecy".

Ibrahim displayed a picture of Sudan’s President Omer Hassan al-Bashir, with the word 'WANTED' underneath; Ibrahim said it demonstrated that Michael was trying to portray a bad image of the president. He also presented a drawing said to be found in the first defendant’s PC, showing a map of Sudan divided into five ethnic states, and said that the goal was to show South Kordofan and Darfur as part of South Sudan. He added that the seized information revealed maps and statistics, which had been compiled to tarnish the image of Sudan.

Among them, he said, was a report claiming that children in Darfur are not allowed to enter school until they have memorised the Koran, which was cited as a reason for under-enrolment in schools and illiteracy in Darfur. Ibrahim stressed that memorising the Koran is not an enrolment requirement in schools.

In exclusive interviews, both men spoke by telephone from their prison cell with CBN News.Michael said he’d experienced psychological intimidation and had not been allowed to speak with his family for two months. Yen said he was not afraid despite facing possible execution.


On paper, Sudan’s constitution and international human rights commitments guarantee freedom of expression and freedom of religion.

Article 31 of Sudan’s Interim National Constitution of 2005 says that all people are "equal before the law and are entitled without discrimination, as to race, colour, sex, language, religious creed, political opinion, or ethnic origin, to the equal protection of the law".

Article 38 further provides that "every person shall have the right to the freedom of religious creed and worship".

But Sudan ranks sixth in Open Doors International's 2015 World Watch List of 50 Countries where Christians face most persecution. Sudan’s almost two million Christians face strict laws imposed by the Islamic government, which has ruled that apostasy is still legally punishable by death. Sudanese who are seen as non-Arab are most vulnerable to being punished under the apostasy law.

There was global condemnation for the case of Meriam Yahia Ibrahim, when a Sudanese court sentenced her to death on charges of converting from Islam to Christianity and marrying a Christian South Sudanese-American.

Ibrahim fled the country in July 2014 following a long legal battle against the apostasy charge. During her time in prison she gave birth to a daughter while shackled to the floor. She now lives with her husband and two children in the United States.

ACJPS says that the case of the two pastors demonstrates the internal contradictions of Sudanese law and its incompatibility with Sudan’s diverse population and international commitments. International law strictly prohibits discrimination based on religion.

The Sudan government applies other restrictions targeting Christians. Support for the local church from Christians visiting from overseas is difficult because the government restricts the number of missionaries they let in by refusing work and travel visas. The number of expatriate Christians - such as those from South Sudan - has shrunk since 2013, when they were ordered to leave the country.

Despite the restrictions, the church in Sudan is showing growth, according to World Watch List research. The Episcopalians, the Church of Christ in Sudan, as well as the movement to which the two imprisoned pastors belong - the Presbyterians - have seen significant numbers turning to Christianity.

According to Amnesty International, the NISS is an agency that is above the law. Priscilla Nyagoah, a campaigner for Sudan and South Sudan at Amnesty International’s regional office in east Africa, said in a recent blog that the Sudanese parliament amended its constitution in January to extend NISS's mandate to perform duties currently carried out by the armed forces and law enforcement agencies, adding that the amendment doesn’t require the agency to abide by relevant international, regional and domestic law. "Conferring an intelligence agency such as the NISS with such a mandate, in addition to its already extensive powers of arrest, detention, search and seizure under the National Security Service Act, is particularly alarming," Nyagoah wrote.

Rights violations

Nyagoah is calling for a human-rights compliant legal framework for the NISS, which would subject its arrest and detention practices to judicial oversight, and ensure that NISS agents perpetrating human-rights violations are held to account. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights recently sent out a message against the impunity of the NISS, by declaring the Republic of Sudan guilty of violating the rights of three human-rights defenders while in NISS detention in November 2008. The decision, published in February this year, requests Sudan to pay adequate compensation to Monim Elgak, Amir Suleiman and Osman Hummeida and to prosecute all those responsible for the illegal incarceration and torture of the three.

5th August 2015


You have prayed for them. You have spoken up on their behalf.

So we are thankful and delighted to tell you that the Sudanese Pastors Michael Yat and Peter Yen Reith have been released!

Praise the Lord!

The two pastors were accused of crimes against the state, including espionage, 'offending Islamic beliefs', promoting hatred amongst sects and undermining the constitutional system. If found guilty, they could have faced the death penalty or life imprisonment.

While they were cleared of previous charges, they were found guilty of two new offences for which they were not previously charged, and sentenced to time already served.

Pastor Yat was sentenced under article 69 of the penal code (disturbing public peace), and Pastor Reith was sentenced under article 65 (establishing or participating in a criminal or terrorist organisation).


An Open Doors source who was with the family outside the court house reported, "The families are very thankful for the legal and advocacy support they received during this trying time."

The legal team of the pastors, who are all Muslims, worked hard to defend their clients, and their efforts have been a great encouragement to the Christian community in Sudan. They feel that these events are leading to greater unity.

Our source told us that the outcome of the case has restored a lot of hope in Sudanese Christians.


Observers from a number of foreign embassies attended the court hearings. An official from the Sudanese Ministry of Justice told one of the pastors' lawyers that the extent of outside interest had led the Government to take a very close interest in the case. So thank you for your concern for brothers.


An associate of the two pastors, Pastor Hafez, and one of their lawyers, Mohaned Mustafa, were briefly detained on 1 July when challenging a government employee who was overseeing the destruction parts of Pastor Hafez's church complex, the church where Pastor Michael spoke out against the treatment of Christians in Sudan. It is still not known when the case against Pastor Hafez and Mohaned will be brought to court.

6th August 2015


Early on 6 August, Pastors Michael Yat and Peter Yen Reith went to the airport to travel out of Sudan. They were not allowed to travel and were informed of travel bans which were still in force.

Their lawyer has returned to the judge presiding over this case and asked for the bans to be lifted. The judge told him to return on Sunday (after the Sudanese weekend) and present a petition.

However, the judge will only have jurisdiction to lift the bans if the travel ban was instituted by the prosecutor as part of the legal proceedings. If the travel ban was instigated by the Sudanese National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) the judge will have no jurisdiction and the lawyer will have to petition the NISS to have it lifted.

11th August 2015


The lawyer responsible for defending the two South Sudanese pastors who were freed last week after months in detention in Khartoum has downplayed the decision by airport authorities to prevent them from leaving the country.

"It will take some few days for the pastors to leave the country, but we are working on procedures to let them travel," Ahmed Sabair told Radio Tamazuj.

A relative added: "We are working now with their lawyer and your prayers are very needed."

Whil we previously reported that an appeal against the travel ban failed because it was imposed by Sudan's National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS), it has since been reported that it was in fact the prosecution which had imposed the initial ban and that a fresh appeal is now being considered.


For protection and provision for Peter and Michael and their families
For their travel ban to be lifted.

All infomation taken from